TN Cave Report

Discussion in 'Caving' started by Bdtile21, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Bdtile21

Bdtile21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'm not an avid spelunker, but I have been in a few caves, mostly when I was younger. I look forward to exploring some of the ones close to me as I add a few things to be properly geared for it.

Here's where I have been...

1. Junkyard Cave, Davidson County, though I got in trouble for it.
    2. Jackson Cave, Wilson County
    3. Bell Witch Cave, Robertson County, I know kinda cheesy
  2. bristow

bristow Member

I've got a few here in Maury county I've been in and one in Marshall County. There is one on the Duck River about 2 miles from me that you can kayak/canoe into. I have been back in it 500-700 feet and wanted to go further but was alone. I would love to go back in it farther. I hope to soon.
  3. UncleJak

UncleJak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I have been in several in Kentucky (I live on the border) and a few in Tennessee. For someone just starting out, Cumberland Caverns in McMinville is pretty cool. There are 2 near me that are on my list to try very soon. I prefer to go into new caves in the winter; hoping to avoid creepy crawlies.
    The coolest one I have seen is actually near my house and has a spring flowing from it. It is not enter-able due to the water, but it appears to be pretty deep. I wish I had better equipment to test it.
    If anyone ever wants to explore one, please hit me up.
    bristow likes this.
  4. ancilcarithers9

ancilcarithers9 New Member

I just moved to polk county tn and wondered if u knew any caves near benton I've gone in quite a few limerock caves solo down in fl where I'm from but would to find some fellow cavers in the area considering I don't know the terrain and the area. Well thanks for any help or advice.
  5. Standing Bear

Standing Bear Member

I heard one time that there were more caves in the state of Tennessee than in any other state in the U.S. I don't know if that's true or not.
  6. bristow

bristow Member

I heard that too.
  7. Bdtile21

Bdtile21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I found Gee Cave in my Caves of Tennessee book just north of you that is small, but very nearby. Funny enough I was just in that area a few months ago and had no idea I passed a cave en route to the Gee Creek Falls Trail. If you get a chance, it is a nice trail with remnants of mining visible. For warmer months there's a really long concrete chute that would be fun to go in and a swimming hole at the falls.

I found another Lintner Cave, that looks to be even smaller. I traveled that road as well on my visit. If you take the Spring Creek Rd. it is rather rough, but the range you pass looks nice and the drive south down 315 is great. When you get to the Hiwassee, be sure to check out the outfitters there. Nice looking places, and they offered a friend of mine some nice advice on fly fishing. You may feel I am sending you on a wild goose chase, but making your way over toward the nearby overlook is well worth the short drive, with stunning views of the river. Great place to fish too, I do believe.
  8. UncleJak

UncleJak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Anyone ever check the caves on the RedRiver? I have heard there are several.
  9. Tormos

Tormos Member

I only know of a few different caves:

Batcave. . . okay I lied. I only know of one cave.
  10. Chelly

Chelly Member

I only know of one cave, but it is not in Tennessee. I visited it, and It was interesting see the bats, stalagmites and stalactites. I don't remember the difference, but It was a great experience. I had no idea that Tennessee had a cave, much less a bunch of caves. I'll have to research that myself.
  11. farmer48

farmer48 User Account Closed

hey there I have several marked on my gps on red river been in a couple best to go in winter I live on the river
  12. Jeff

Jeff TOF Admin Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the forum, @farmer48. Glad to have you here.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
  13. farmer48

farmer48 User Account Closed

thanks a lot! seems like a really cool place lots of awesome things to talk about!